Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Why I hunt with Traditional Archery Equipment

    There are several reasons for why I hunt exclusively with traditional archery equipment, meaning recurves and longbows. I made the switch from compound when I was about 17 years old. I was influenced by my neighbor who was constantly shooting his longbow in his front yard. One day I asked him if I could try the longbow, from that day forward I was hooked on traditional archery.
    I ended up buying that longbow from my neighbor and since then I have owned around ten different traditional bows. Since using that first longbow to harvest a few whitetail deer I have pretty much switched to only recurves. I like the shootability of recurves a little better than longbows, and I now collect Bear recurves and own a black widow SAII recurve.
     I love the simplicity of shooting a traditional bow. There is very little you have to do with a traditoinal bow. By this I mean all you basically do is string the bow, nock your arrow, and shoot. This is the main reason I shoot traditional, the simplicity. I also love the beauty of traditonal bows. I hold nothing against someone who shoots a compound, heck even my dad hunts with compounds, but a compound with all the gadgets and gizmos is just downright ugly compared to a wooden recurve or longbow. Lastly I shoot traditonal because it is a much more natural form of archery to me. Drawing a smooth recurve or longbow is much more enjoyable then shooting a compound that breaks over and then having to line up the sights. If you ever decide to try a traditional bow I think you will understand what I mean. But whatever weapon you choose to hunt with remember to respect nature, and the wildlife we persue so that we can enjoy it for many generations!

No comments:

Post a Comment